Skip to main content

A Beautiful Mind

 
 
 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.  Ephesians 6:10-18


Our minds can take us on a trip. A trip that takes us farther than we desired to travel.  Our thoughts are the sum of what we have learned and believe to be true. No one desires to just exist in life. We want to realize the fullness of life. In order to do that we must take inventory. Remove outdated stock. Purge useless notions. We must restock our mental shelves with newness.

It is November and many are getting ready for the onslaught of festivities. There are many who dread this time of the year. I have learned through trial and error that it is not that serious. I have come to realize that the most important thing is to appreciate the right here and right now.  I no longer get caught up in what others are doing or what others think I should do just because everyone else is doing it and because it makes them happy.  That is not living. That is codependency. Codependency is a psychological condition that keeps us in unhealthy and unhappy situations. I have a codependent personality. I learned this at the early age of 7.  Many years later a friend of mine gave me a book by Melody Bettie called Codependent No More, this is where my healing journey began.  Ask.com defines codependency below:

Codependency is defined as a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (typically narcissism or drug addiction); and in broader terms, it refers to the dependence on the needs of, or control of, another.[1] It also often involves placing a lower priority on one's own needs, while being excessively preoccupied with the needs of others.[2] Codependency can occur in any type of relationship, including family, work, friendship, and also romantic, peer or community relationships.[2] Codependency may also be characterized by denial, low self-esteem, excessive compliance, or control patterns.[2] Narcissists are considered to be natural magnets for the codependent.

Absolutely right on point. I could not have said it better myself.  Basically a codependent is concerned with the needs and actions of others and forgetting self.  Once I got that message I made changes. The changes took time and hard work because I had to learn how to love me. I had to open up wounds and allow them to heal correctly. I had to forgive myself and others. I had to let go of people and situations. Many will not do this. The most important thing I had to do was to admit and accept responsibility. This is where some fall off the wagon face first because they refuse to admit or accept any responsibility. It is so much easier to blame others. Stop it. Life is so much easier than the way you are living it.  The joy in knowing is half the battle to reaching a life of fulfillment and true happiness.  

Statistics show that millions of children are mother and fatherless. Drug abuse, gang violence, domestic violence, rape creeps in. Our young girls are looking for love and trust me they will find the illusion not the actual.  Boys are starving for a father figure and guess where they will find it, in the streets.  The cycle is meant to be broken and the only way to break that cycle is to look in the mirror. It starts with you. Just as you learned that behavior you can unlearn it and learn a new.  The next step is seeking out counsel to help you with tools for change. Don't be fooled that you can do it yourself. You can not.

Today take some time to evaluate who you are and what you want for your life.  Do you have children? Ask yourself what lessons are you teaching your them.  News flash, your children are watching you and what you do they will do also.  Go on and pull up your boot straps and turn over a new leaf.  Go ahead scream, shout, stomp your feet, cry even. What ever you do, do it in the positive because those are the results you want, positive. Start the journey to showing up and living. You are worth it. You are so worth it.

Be Blessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spectators Never Win

1 Corinthians 9:24-26 in the NLT Paul tells us, “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing”. I am reminded with every breath, the race I am running. I know that God has given me the vision and because He alone is omnipotent, having unlimited power, I have won, I just have to run. I may stumble and fall, I may get scratched up and bruised, but run I must.   An athlete does not go into a race with doubt and fear. They are not concerned with who is cheering them on. A runner cannot focus on the runner next to them thought they are aware that they are there. A runner is focused on the run, the finish line, and the score board that tells them if they have beaten a previous record for the win.   Being a runner on the track is the same as

I Won't Complain

After a few work days of buses not showing up for their scheduled stops, me getting home close to 2 hours later than normal,  and no good sleep I'm reminded still, how good God is. Even the periodic snaps of depression and anxiety haven't caused me to forget how good God is. The key is encouraging myself because all storms pass. It amazes me to see so many people unaware of the true effects of mental illness. They tell you, get over it. They are the ones who have no debilitating physical or educational knowledge of the struggles. They don't understand the fight everyday to remain in a visual normal state of mind with tending to the tasks requiring your presence. They can't understand why you cry for no apparent reason. Unaware that some wish to lay down at any given time to sleep hoping to never awake again. Unaware that at any moment a fuse can blow in ones mind and all hell can be unleashed. Unaware that they may see beauty or bronze, while a depressive is seeing

Win The Race With Endurance

Today has been a good day. How many of you get up in the mornings and say this? Do you get up with anticipation and drive to do all that you can in peace, or do you get up dreading the day before it even starts? You have a choice to either be grateful or in torment.  After a great call with a friend I haven't seen or talked to in over 30 years until a few weeks ago spoke so much life and confirmation in to me today.  I was reminded about endurance and running the race that God has placed me in. This race is nothing about what I want, it's about what His will is for me and nothing more. You see, we have to surrender our will for His will because as you know, God's will is the platform in which we have been placed at the starting line to run and not faint or grow weary. We been called and hand picked for a time such as now. Its urgent and immediate. Are you running to it or from it?  The past few months have been challenging on many levels and with these challen