Skip to main content

It Starts With Us


Currently the greatest sadness in the media is the verdict or the lack of a verdict in Ferguson, Mo. History yet again is being repeated in mighty proportions. The message is clear with anger uncut and raw for many Americans especially African Americans. City officials are not sure what direction to go in all the while grasping at straws. The pain is unimaginable for anyone who has not experienced it personally, the loss of a child in any capacity.
I raised 2 sons. Raising black children in the 80’s and 90’s had its own set of chaos. Drugs, gang violence, unwanted teenage pregnancies and murder. As a mother I lived in fear and sadness.
Fear of the unknown for my sons even though I raised them with all I had. Fear of the streets being more appealing than the discipline administered at home and the needs that were met. Fear of that phone call telling me that one or both of my sons were dead due to gang violence. Fear because the street in so many ways did have a grasp. Fear that I would either visit the cemetery or the prison. Fear as a mother is like a hot knife jabbed into the very pit of your soul and all you can do is feel its fire destroy everything thing that you knew and understood.  And then there is the sadness.

Sadness that there were no real and consistent role models that walked the talk. Sadness that I could not hold my sons hands through life into adulthood. Sadness that my efforts at love, care, and discipline would be slammed back in my face. I stood tall and strong yet, small and weak. I screamed as I cursed the devil and everything that laid a claim on my son’s lives and future.

Sadness because I was alone and living it alone, so I thought. But God. He heard my screams. He saw my fear. He saw my despair and today my sons are now 34 and 31. No rap sheets, no bullets holes, no looking over their backs at what might happen but looking forward at what can happen. They are making it happen. They are choosing what is important. They are fathers. They can apply, compete and obtain employment because they are educated and can pass a background check. They walked out of the fire just as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, Daniel chapter 3. God was right with them all the time and at every turn. All due to a mothers never ending prayers and His unfailing love. All because I kept a knee in the backs and was very firm about life. I would always tell them there are consequences for every decision you make be it good or bad, it is on you and it affects others. So choose wisely. I would also tell them the very choices they make will follow them for the rest of their lives. I can only pray that it stuck. LOL I can hear it now, aww mom.   

We are in a fight for our children’s lives and our children’s children’s lives. We must show them without a shadow of doubt that destruction is not the answer to problems. That the choices do not fade away and will not be forgotten. Riots solve nothing but create a whole set of other hardships aside from the injustice felt. Take the time to talk to your children and any other child who will listen and share with them the gifts of the spirit, 1 Corinthians 12. Tell your children and family you love them as often as you can. Teach them that violence begets violence and that no one wins. 

The change does start with us. It starts with an attitude. Will that attitude be negative or positive.

Be Blessed

 




 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spectators Never Win

1 Corinthians 9:24-26 in the NLT Paul tells us, “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing”. I am reminded with every breath, the race I am running. I know that God has given me the vision and because He alone is omnipotent, having unlimited power, I have won, I just have to run. I may stumble and fall, I may get scratched up and bruised, but run I must.   An athlete does not go into a race with doubt and fear. They are not concerned with who is cheering them on. A runner cannot focus on the runner next to them thought they are aware that they are there. A runner is focused on the run, the finish line, and the score board that tells them if they have beaten a previous record for the win.   Being a runner on the track is the same as

I Won't Complain

After a few work days of buses not showing up for their scheduled stops, me getting home close to 2 hours later than normal,  and no good sleep I'm reminded still, how good God is. Even the periodic snaps of depression and anxiety haven't caused me to forget how good God is. The key is encouraging myself because all storms pass. It amazes me to see so many people unaware of the true effects of mental illness. They tell you, get over it. They are the ones who have no debilitating physical or educational knowledge of the struggles. They don't understand the fight everyday to remain in a visual normal state of mind with tending to the tasks requiring your presence. They can't understand why you cry for no apparent reason. Unaware that some wish to lay down at any given time to sleep hoping to never awake again. Unaware that at any moment a fuse can blow in ones mind and all hell can be unleashed. Unaware that they may see beauty or bronze, while a depressive is seeing

Win The Race With Endurance

Today has been a good day. How many of you get up in the mornings and say this? Do you get up with anticipation and drive to do all that you can in peace, or do you get up dreading the day before it even starts? You have a choice to either be grateful or in torment.  After a great call with a friend I haven't seen or talked to in over 30 years until a few weeks ago spoke so much life and confirmation in to me today.  I was reminded about endurance and running the race that God has placed me in. This race is nothing about what I want, it's about what His will is for me and nothing more. You see, we have to surrender our will for His will because as you know, God's will is the platform in which we have been placed at the starting line to run and not faint or grow weary. We been called and hand picked for a time such as now. Its urgent and immediate. Are you running to it or from it?  The past few months have been challenging on many levels and with these challen