Skip to main content

Meet Keith Kareem Williams


 

 
Welcome. Meet August’s author of the month, Keith Kareem Williams. This author is very new to me. I read my first book penned by Keith called, Tourniquet and it was very intriguing. I was drawn to this author for a number of reasons. Keith is a single father and not just of 1 child but of 3. This was refreshing. The issues with parenthood alone is a very hard task no matter who is parenting, but for a male to stand up and take on the responsibility head on is like music to my ears. Our children are lacking positive roles male models and Keith is no doubt the major influence in his children’s lives, in his community of Brooklyn, New York, and beyond. For the dedication he has for his children, the responsibility that he takes head on without complaint, and the joy that I see that he has for his craft of writing.  Without further delay, let’s give a huge shout of welcome to, Keith Kareem Williams.


Bio:


Keith Kareem Williams is the author of 9 books and currently working on his 10th. He still resides in his hometown of Brooklyn, New York where he delicately balances his time between his responsibilities as a single father as well as the challenges of being a full-time author.

“In interviews, one of the most difficult questions I’ve been asked is, ‘What genre are your novels?’ because honestly, I never write with any particular style in mind. I enjoy blending style and mashing different genres together in interesting ways. Basically, I pen whatever is in my heart and soul. However, if I had to describe my style I would use musical terms and say that I write Urban, Hip-Hop, fiction with the rhythm of Reggae that crashed into Heavy Metal and then began to bleed Neo Soul.”

One of the things I’m most proud of is how my children look at me with pride because I’m accomplishing my goals and doing the things I set out to do with my career. They recognize and respect my passion. I write constantly and I already have the titles& plots lined up for my next 54 novels. This is what I do and I’m just trying to let the rest of the world know this. My ambition is to become as legendary as some of the writers I admire. I believe that a GOOD writer pulls you into their story. A GREAT writer makes the world around fall away as you read. The LEGENDARY writers tell stories that become a part of you and linger long after you’ve read the last line of the last chapter. It was once said that, the pen is mightier than the sword. I say to my fellow AUTHORS: Let’s advance our craft until it’s mightier than then guns, grenades, bullets & nuclear bombs. If not, then put your pen down and fall back. Those of us who are serious about this will run you over as if we were riding in tanks.

I asked Keith some questions and here is what he has shared:

When did you first consider yourself a writer?  I believe I first started to feel like a writer when I started making up my own stories as a kid and writing them down. I couldn’t have been more than five or six years old. My mother taught me how to read at age three.

What inspired you to write your first book? The environment I grew up in inspired the storyline of my fist book, but a fiction workshop I took in my 2nd semester in college is the reason why I wrote “Water Flows Under Doors.” After sitting quietly in class, without saying a word in the first few weeks as I listened to my classmates share their writing, I realized that I would have to write something to get a decent grade. I went home one afternoon after school and wrote for twelve hours straight. (From 2:30pm in the afternoon to 2:30am) The next day in class I read what would eventually become the first two chapters of my first book and the class, including the professor, encouraged me to turn it into a full-length novel.

What books have most influenced your life most?  It would be impossible for me to credit just one book because I’ve been influenced by almost everything I’ve read. That is probably why I’m able to write in any genre and also mix them when the mood takes me. I will say that ‘Their Eyes Were Watching god” by Zora Neale Hurston influenced and inspired me to write a story that details “where I’m from” if you will. Ralph Ellison’s ‘Invisible Man” influenced my use of metaphors in my stories.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? I really can’t say that I have a favorite author. My favorites change from book to book. I just enjoy creative, unique, well-written literature.

Did you learn anything form writing your book and what was it? I learned that I have a unique view of the world and a creative way to express that. I was tempted to write a typical story, the type that was commonplace and popular but I took a change and wrote exactly what I wanted to, in the way I wanted to do it. I learned the readers are always thirsty and hungry for a fresh voice. The feedback from those reads about my first book let me know that I AM that.

Do you have any advice for other writers?  Take the craft of writing seriously. Being able to read and write does not necessarily qualify you as a great, or even decent writer. There’s are and craftsmanship involved and neither should be taken lightly. (Just because I can hit a jump-shop on the basketball court does not mean I belong in the NBA. Years of grueling work and sacrifice went into those athletes’ careers.) Writing is no different. Learn your craft. Also, write every day, even if it’s just a page or two. Waiting for inspiration is a dangerous game. Pick up your pen and the inspiration will come. Your creativity is just like any other muscle in your body. The more you use it is the stronger it becomes.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? To the readers that already follow me work, I’d like to thank them for the continued support. I would love for them to SHARE me with their reader friends more often though. They tend to try to keep me to themselves. For the readers who haven’t read any of my books yet, I’d like to tell them that they should. Most of the people who pick up my catalog, I put the same energy and effort into everything.  I write and I always deliver something fresh for you to enjoy.

What do you enjoy most about connecting with your readers? I really enjoy the interaction. I don’t have “fans” because I consider those folks friends. We don’t just discuss books. Often, we discuss life in general. I think that’s why they try to keep me to themselves sometimes. Who in the world is eager to share their friends?

 

Sample From, Tourniquet
Safe Inside Insanity
Chapter 9

“I thought you were going home to satay with your sisters?” Gavin asked, shocked to find Angela back at his place, curled up like a kitten on the futon.
He’d just got home from work so tired that he almost thought it might be a dream. When she humped up, rushed to him at the door and hugged him, he knew it was real.
“I need to be here with your tonight,” she told him and squeezed him so tightly that she nearly smothered him.
“You know you can be here anytime you want. I’ll always be here for you,” he reassured her.

For the rest of the night, they lay in the bed together but didn’t exchanged words. The voices inside Gavin’s head had been silenced as her head lay on his chest and Angela didn’t have to worry about unwanted hands or eyes on her body. She was sage and he was sane, at least for the moment. Sleep didn’t come easily for either one of them. They both drifted in and out of dreamland in shifts, almost ask if they instinctively watched over one another. At any moment, Angela expected the police to knock on the door looking to put her in handcuffs for assaulting her stepfather and Gavin waited for his ghosts to begin to torment him as they usually did whenever it was quiet.

 
Connect With Keith

Twitter:  @reemafterdark
Blog:       www.thegullygodchronicles.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/keithkareemwilliam
Instagram:  @reemafterdark

 
Novels by Keith Kareem Williams

Water Flows Under Doors                                2004
Open Spaces                                                      2010
Sometimes Brooklyn, Mostly Mars                  2011
Glass Goddesses, Concrete Walls                     2012
War Angel                                                         2013
War Angel II: Where Angels Fear To Tread    2014
Tourniquet                                                         2014  

 
Short Stories Featured In Anthologies

The Prerequisites of Perdition: Written for Crossroads – An Anthology
Galerie Erotique: Written for Eros 369 Volume III
Bring Me Back: Written for Untapped – Collection of Erotic Firsts

Thank you for stopping by. I hope your enjoyed learning about this talented author as much as I did. Make sure to connect with Keith and pick up your next great read.

Be Blessed

 

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spectators Never Win

1 Corinthians 9:24-26 in the NLT Paul tells us, “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing”. I am reminded with every breath, the race I am running. I know that God has given me the vision and because He alone is omnipotent, having unlimited power, I have won, I just have to run. I may stumble and fall, I may get scratched up and bruised, but run I must.   An athlete does not go into a race with doubt and fear. They are not concerned with who is cheering them on. A runner cannot focus on the runner next to them thought they are aware that they are there. A runner is focused on the run, the finish line, and the score board that tells them if they have beaten a previous record for the win.   Being a runner on the track is the same as

I Won't Complain

After a few work days of buses not showing up for their scheduled stops, me getting home close to 2 hours later than normal,  and no good sleep I'm reminded still, how good God is. Even the periodic snaps of depression and anxiety haven't caused me to forget how good God is. The key is encouraging myself because all storms pass. It amazes me to see so many people unaware of the true effects of mental illness. They tell you, get over it. They are the ones who have no debilitating physical or educational knowledge of the struggles. They don't understand the fight everyday to remain in a visual normal state of mind with tending to the tasks requiring your presence. They can't understand why you cry for no apparent reason. Unaware that some wish to lay down at any given time to sleep hoping to never awake again. Unaware that at any moment a fuse can blow in ones mind and all hell can be unleashed. Unaware that they may see beauty or bronze, while a depressive is seeing

Win The Race With Endurance

Today has been a good day. How many of you get up in the mornings and say this? Do you get up with anticipation and drive to do all that you can in peace, or do you get up dreading the day before it even starts? You have a choice to either be grateful or in torment.  After a great call with a friend I haven't seen or talked to in over 30 years until a few weeks ago spoke so much life and confirmation in to me today.  I was reminded about endurance and running the race that God has placed me in. This race is nothing about what I want, it's about what His will is for me and nothing more. You see, we have to surrender our will for His will because as you know, God's will is the platform in which we have been placed at the starting line to run and not faint or grow weary. We been called and hand picked for a time such as now. Its urgent and immediate. Are you running to it or from it?  The past few months have been challenging on many levels and with these challen