Skip to main content

Lent Devotional Day 5

Lent Devotional March 9, 2014
Psalm 32

1  Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven whose sin is covered.
2   Happy are those to whom the LORD imputes no iniquity,and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
3  While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.
4   For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.     Selah
5   Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah
6  Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you;
  at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters
 shall not reach them.
7   You are a hiding place for me, you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.             Selah
8   I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
9   Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you.
10  Many are the torments of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the LORD.
11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

DEVOTIONAL
The Psalmist keeps silence while groaning. It seems so contradictory, but the Psalmist’s silence isn’t absolute. It’s silence about sin. Immediately when that silence is broken by confession, the Psalmist experiences a sense of forgiveness and joy. The sound of moaning and confession is overwhelmed by the sound of “glad cries of deliverance.”

This psalm is a sharp contrast to the passage we read yesterday. Instead of joy erupting into songs of worship, today we see the Psalmist keep silence while groaning. That phrase seems so contradictory, but the Psalmist’s silence isn’t absolute. It’s silence about sin. The Psalmist moves from groaning and wasting away to a feeling of safety. We find our Psalmist protected from rushing waters, hidden from trouble, and even surrounded by sounds of joy so intense, so palpable, that they seem to act as a shield. The sound of moaning and confession is overwhelmed by the sound of “glad cries of deliverance.” The psalm then ends with shouts of joy, returning us that that irrepressible worship that we encountered in yesterday’s psalm.

Message provided by the Miller Summer Youth Institute.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spectators Never Win

1 Corinthians 9:24-26 in the NLT Paul tells us, “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing”. I am reminded with every breath, the race I am running. I know that God has given me the vision and because He alone is omnipotent, having unlimited power, I have won, I just have to run. I may stumble and fall, I may get scratched up and bruised, but run I must.   An athlete does not go into a race with doubt and fear. They are not concerned with who is cheering them on. A runner cannot focus on the runner next to them thought they are aware that they are there. A runner is focused on the run, the finish line, and the score board that tells them if they have beaten a previous record for the win.   Being a runner on the track is the same as

Win The Race With Endurance

Today has been a good day. How many of you get up in the mornings and say this? Do you get up with anticipation and drive to do all that you can in peace, or do you get up dreading the day before it even starts? You have a choice to either be grateful or in torment.  After a great call with a friend I haven't seen or talked to in over 30 years until a few weeks ago spoke so much life and confirmation in to me today.  I was reminded about endurance and running the race that God has placed me in. This race is nothing about what I want, it's about what His will is for me and nothing more. You see, we have to surrender our will for His will because as you know, God's will is the platform in which we have been placed at the starting line to run and not faint or grow weary. We been called and hand picked for a time such as now. Its urgent and immediate. Are you running to it or from it?  The past few months have been challenging on many levels and with these challen

Thought Of The Day

My thought for today: If you want quality you must be quality. Many of us expect so much but only give so little. We seek love but we put conditions on it. We want more money but refuse to put in the hours required and complain when millions do not have employment. We admire things but fail to see there is a cause and effect to having things. Never expect from another what you are not willing to give and if you try to beat the system of life, karma is real and you will no doubt pay for it somewhere in your life's walk. Nothing that happens in your life is by chance, its allowed by God. Change your thinking, change your mind. Feed your thoughts with positiveness. Your eye-gate is the door to growth or destruction meaning, what you choose to see can either bring you growth or cause destruction not only for you but for those around you. One of my favorite quotes from back in college is this, “Determination rules out doubt theory can not solve” penned by an unknown. I wake up det